Thursday, August 19, 2010

Trial of Flowers

Trial of Flowers

I don't read a lot of fantasy, and when I do, I tend to be drawn to worlds built on very non-Tolkien lines. Jay Lake's Trial of Flowers is definitely my kind of fantasy. A densely woven story of a place called the City Imperishable and the three men who will save that city from itself in a time of bloody crisis.

The City Imperishable is a cruel place that struggles under the weight of its past, a legacy of dead gods and empty thrones. Imago is a swift-tongued dandy who hatches a plot to escape his debts by rising the to the long-vacant post of Lord Mayor. He gains the support Bijaz the dwarf and Jason the factor. The city is marching toward war and death as the streets are menaced by old magics and barbarian armies march towards the gates. Each of the three has their own reasons, but all three wish to save the city from the coming doom.

The story builds with dread and mystery. We ride with the characters as they struggle to understand the cthonic forces that plague the city, rising from a dark past that is mostly forgotten and rarely acknowledged. This is good stuff. It will stick to your ribs. Passages will make you flinch. I only finished it today, but I know that when I read it again in a few years, I will find more and more in the reading. Oh, and there is a sequel that I am looking forward to reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment